Sunday, March 23, 2014

Little Town Planning

Ever since I read The Borrowers at Isabella Elementary School, I have been fascinated with miniatures. Much of the art in my home consists of houses, and I have a collection of miniature English cottages, mills, castles, and villages. My husband shared that love, so today I have a playroom with a beautiful dollhouse and a huge train layout. If you have been following this blog you saw the latter here. You may have also seen my inspiration for an outdoor Little Town here. When you have time, go back and enjoy the tours. For now, I want to share my progress with my outdoor Little Town.


The actual planning began one year ago because I have had many structural projects after storm damage. Once the trees and debris were clear, I began to see what I had left. Remaining were the beautiful sunny areas that my husband had established; destroyed were all my shade gardens. I had a new canvas, and the rainy summer helped my rooting projects - forty new hydrangeas and an abundance of sedum, miniature vinca, ajuga, and creeping jenny. My shady areas are now bare or cleaned, so I have much potential work for the spring.

Thinking of my garden rooms already connected with stone paths, I planned new areas, a budget, and schedule determined by weather conditions and planting seasons. The most fun research happened on Pinterest. My fairy garden board became the most popular one, with the most followers and re-pins. And as my style, I began with "If Anything is Possible." Here is my vision (without the fairies for I am more of a "Borrower").

Pinterest Video Link with SoundYouTube Video Link without Sound

Not ready to build my own hypertufa houses or invest in the best, I chose the resin houses at Plow and Hearth. My three-year-old grandson brought them in the den to play throughout the winter. I spent the winter sketching ideas.

Location? I chose a place that I could see from my kitchen window and from every back window upstairs. This area is part of my husband's daylily terrace garden that was too shady for lilies. The first week of spring, I contoured the area with compost and soil. I had to re-enforce the rotting beams which, of course, will be porous and perfect for moss.

View from upstairs

View from my kitchen window
The name of this Little Town? On the morning of the day I started in the dirt, I won a door prize at my garden club meeting. Here is the copper garden stake and a wonderful name for this Little Town Garden.

The Little Town of PARSLEY
The next posts will be about gathering moss, making moss milkshakes, seeding, and borrowing plants from other areas of the yard. I hope that you visit again!

Next Post: gathering moss, making moss milkshakes, seeding, borrowing from existing plants